What is going to University like?

That feeling when you are at the end of your high school years. It's almost like you were growing wings. You feel excited for what lies ahead. For those who wore uniforms, you are anxious to dump them off to finally wear the cool clothes that you've wanted to wear at school.😎

But you also feel worried because you still don't have a clue about what you want to do with your lifeπŸ˜•. Well, not everyone feels that way. Some others know exactly what they want to do (follow that dream they've always had)

University is a lot of things. It can be scary, lonely and even tragic but also exciting and a life-changing experience.

This is what my first years looked like...

When I entered the universe of college after completing my high school exam I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

Okay, not 100% sure. 😑

But I had an idea and most of the time that all that's needed for a start. I wanted to do Computer Science. At the time I didn't know the difference between Computer Science and Computer Engineering (but now I do and I don't regret having chosen Engineering).

I've always had a passion for computers and had read a lot of tutorials and watched videos about coding. I recalled once, during my high school years, saying to myself that I would one day build my own computer from scratch.

I spent one year in my home country studying Engineering then moved to South Africa, where I am at present.

And so, I lived alone. Though I still depend on my parents for cash I had to cook for myself buy my own things and take care of myself in everything. Something I hadn't really learned to do before.

What about the university system...

The way learning takes place in the University is quite different from Grade School. Lectures are in different venues and you only take lecture that you are registered for according to your degree.

Depending on your degree, you can have a ton of books and loaded syllabus. It is very easy to fall behind in lectures when you don't get the material or revise them daily.

My personal experience...


I was a very lazy student. I seldom did my homework and almost never revised my lectures. I had very bad habits of sleeping late and following all that except my school work.

In fact, I only studied for tests and exams. This attitude resulted in marks that were below my capacity (but I still passed 😊).

Don't get me wrong, lagging behind is very bad and everyone has different techniques for studying. One lesson I have learned is that consistency is key when aiming for excellent results (both for tests and exams).

Other things I learned...

I learned how to cook. And not only that. I also developed a passion for cooking and discovering cuisine and nutrition and stuff πŸ˜‹. This proved to save me a lot of money because buying food (junk food) is not very healthy and is a money eater.

I also learned to socialize with different people and understand myself better. I found a new family and gained experience.

Another passion I found was basketball πŸ€.

In the end...

Varsity can be very big and confusing but that's just the next challenge you have to faceπŸ˜‰. And take my word for it, if you take a positive attitude you will be successful.

But hey! There are people all over to help as well as people in the same shoes as you. So, you are not alone. Network as much as possible with people that can help you achieve your goals.

As for me, as I write this post, I am moving to my second year. The journey continues and I am positive for what the future holds.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The best solution to men's hair loss